Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Justin Field
I am trying to make a custom cache for my app, here is the WIP:

The App and MyBatis is configured with Guice:

What I need to do is bring in the application monitoring service so I can instrument the cache stats and send them to our metric aggregator so we can monitor and alert of the stats.

I was wondering if the Guice module had a hook to inject things into something like a custom cache impl?

Cheers,

Justin

Re: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Poitras Christian
Hi,

mybatis-guice does not inject dependencies in cache classes.

Is this functionality available in mybatis-spring?

Best,
Christian

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Justin Field <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 4:16 PM
To: mybatis-user <[hidden email]>
Subject: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

I am trying to make a custom cache for my app, here is the WIP:
https://github.com/Nike-Inc/cerberus-management-service/blob/dac5f9d4c837956ca2d48f10732244815e7ebee2/src/main/java/com/nike/cerberus/cache/DatabaseCache.java

The App and MyBatis is configured with Guice:
https://github.com/Nike-Inc/cerberus-management-service/blob/feature/secure_data_caching/src/main/java/com/nike/cerberus/server/config/guice/CmsMyBatisModule.java<https://github.com/Nike-Inc/cerberus-management-service/blob/feature/secure_data_caching/src/main/java/com/nike/cerberus/server/config/guice/CmsMyBatisModule.java#L35>

The cache is wired up via
https://github.com/Nike-Inc/cerberus-management-service/blob/dac5f9d4c837956ca2d48f10732244815e7ebee2/src/main/resources/com/nike/cerberus/mapper/SecureDataMapper.xml#L23

What I need to do is bring in the application monitoring service so I can instrument the cache stats and send them to our metric aggregator so we can monitor and alert of the stats.

I was wondering if the Guice module had a hook to inject things into something like a custom cache impl?

Cheers,

Justin

Re: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Justin Field
Christian,

I do not know what mybatis-spring does with out digging through that projects code base.

I am not super familiar with how mybaitis creates the Cache classes and how much effort it would be to integrate an injector into that flow.
I assume if it was straightforward it would have already been done, correct me if that is not correct.

Should I attempt to make a PR to allow mybaitis guice to work with Custom Cache classes, or are there good reasons that it doesn't already and/or shouldn't exist?

Alternatively, I can just make static singleton instance with a static getter like I did for the logging configuration:
https://github.com/Nike-Inc/cerberus-management-service/blob/master/src/main/resources/logback.groovy#L207
and use it in the initialize method that mybatis provides.

The latter probably being the easiest, if not a little hacky.

Cheers,

Justin

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:41 PM Poitras Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

mybatis-guice does not inject dependencies in cache classes.

Is this functionality available in mybatis-spring?

Best,
Christian

Re: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Justin Field
Hey!

OK, I got a working solution, it might be a little hacky but ...

You can use https://github.com/google/guice/wiki/Injections#static-injections to create a statically accessible instance of the injector itself.
Then in the MyBatis initialize lifecycle hook method just call StaticInjector.getInstace().inject(this);
That will then inject all the @Inject props on the CustomCache instance.

Cheers,

Justin

Re: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Poitras Christian
Justin,

If MyBatis registers all Cache instances at configuration time, then it is possible to inject dependencies in a similar way we do injection for the type handlers.
You can make a PR for this if you want. I will have a look in the next few days since it may be easy to fix.

As you said, you can make a static injection helper. Obviously, it is not recommended if an alternative exists.

Best,
Christian

From: <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> on behalf of Justin Field <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 4:16 PM
To: mybatis-user <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/fieldju> | @fieldju

Re: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Justin Field
I will have a look in the next few days since it may be easy to fix.

That sounds nice, I am pretty slammed and don't have to bandwidth to ramp up on a new project / framework right now and can use that work around for now.

Thanks for checking this out.

Cheers,

Justin

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 3:46 PM Poitras Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Justin,

If MyBatis registers all Cache instances at configuration time, then it is possible to inject dependencies in a similar way we do injection for the type handlers.
You can make a PR for this if you want. I will have a look in the next few days since it may be easy to fix.

As you said, you can make a static injection helper. Obviously, it is not recommended if an alternative exists.

Best,
Christian

Re: Using Guice to inject objects into a custom cache

Poitras Christian
Hi Justin,

Instead of relying on mybatis-guice to inject your custom cache, you can implement a custom ConfigurationSetting.

In the configuration setting, just inject the Injector and call:
configuration.getCaches().forEach(cache->injector.injectMembers(cache));

Best,
Christian

Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 4:16 PM
To: mybatis-user <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>>

[...]

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email]<mailto:mybatis-user%[hidden email]><mailto:mybatis-user%[hidden email]<mailto:mybatis-user%[hidden email]>><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:mybatis-user%[hidden email]><mailto:mybatis-user%[hidden email]<mailto:mybatis-user%[hidden email]>>>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mybatis-user/c76d47fd-9216-4f27-bc7b-7315b5a9cbf8%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mybatis-user/c76d47fd-9216-4f27-bc7b-7315b5a9cbf8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mybatis-user/2041A6AD-282F-4BC8-AF34-2DE6F93BA4D9%40ircm.qc.ca.

--
Justin Field