Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Peter Köhler
I started to write a migration tool myself consisting of an ant task
with regexp replacements and a xslt transformation and uploaded it
to :
http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/issues/detail?id=72

If You are still interested i can upload a much more elaborated
version which transforms more ibatis2 features to mybatis and includes
many bugfixes.

Greetings from Frankfurt

Peter Köhler

On 26 Jul., 08:29, yaog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been a user of version 2.x for a long time.
>
> a few months back I started looking at version 3 but I saw it is not
> backward compatible at all.
>
> Is this on purpose? any migration tool for migrating?
>
> any real benefits tomigratefrom version 2.3.2 to 3.x?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Simone Tripodi
Hi Peter,
sorry for being late on processing your issue, but of course we're
more than interested on a migration tool. I just need to terminate
some activities on spring & giuce subprojects, then I'll be ready.
So yes please, update the jira issue and I'll help you growing and
packaging the stuff. Well done.
Thanks in advance and... alles gute!!! ;)
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I started to write a migration tool myself consisting of an ant task
> with regexp replacements and a xslt transformation and uploaded it
> to :
> http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/issues/detail?id=72
>
> If You are still interested i can upload a much more elaborated
> version which transforms more ibatis2 features to mybatis and includes
> many bugfixes.
>
> Greetings from Frankfurt
>
> Peter Köhler
>
> On 26 Jul., 08:29, yaog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've been a user of version 2.x for a long time.
>>
>> a few months back I started looking at version 3 but I saw it is not
>> backward compatible at all.
>>
>> Is this on purpose? any migration tool for migrating?
>>
>> any real benefits tomigratefrom version 2.3.2 to 3.x?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Peter Köhler
Hi Simo,

uploaded new version fresh from our development at AWARO®.
Have fun and .... ciao :)

Peter

On 17 Sep., 11:20, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> sorry for being late on processing your issue, but of course we're
> more than interested on a migration tool. I just need to terminate
> some activities on spring & giuce subprojects, then I'll be ready.
> So yes please, update the jira issue and I'll help you growing and
> packaging the stuff. Well done.
> Thanks in advance and... alles gute!!! ;)
> Simo
>
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I started to write a migration tool myself consisting of an ant task
> > with regexp replacements and a xslt transformation and uploaded it
> > to :
> >http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/issues/detail?id=72
>
> > If You are still interested i can upload a much more elaborated
> > version which transforms more ibatis2 features to mybatis and includes
> > many bugfixes.
>
> > Greetings from Frankfurt
>
> > Peter Köhler
>
> > On 26 Jul., 08:29, yaog <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've been a user of version 2.x for a long time.
>
> >> a few months back I started looking at version 3 but I saw it is not
> >> backward compatible at all.
>
> >> Is this on purpose? any migration tool for migrating?
>
> >> any real benefits tomigratefrom version 2.3.2 to 3.x?
>
> >> Thanks.

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Simone Tripodi
Cool! I'll take a deep look during the weekend, thanks a lot! :)
Have a nice day,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simo,
>
> uploaded new version fresh from our development at AWARO®.
> Have fun and .... ciao :)
>
> Peter
>
> On 17 Sep., 11:20, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>> sorry for being late on processing your issue, but of course we're
>> more than interested on a migration tool. I just need to terminate
>> some activities on spring & giuce subprojects, then I'll be ready.
>> So yes please, update the jira issue and I'll help you growing and
>> packaging the stuff. Well done.
>> Thanks in advance and... alles gute!!! ;)
>> Simo
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I started to write a migration tool myself consisting of an ant task
>> > with regexp replacements and a xslt transformation and uploaded it
>> > to :
>> >http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/issues/detail?id=72
>>
>> > If You are still interested i can upload a much more elaborated
>> > version which transforms more ibatis2 features to mybatis and includes
>> > many bugfixes.
>>
>> > Greetings from Frankfurt
>>
>> > Peter Köhler

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Arkadi Shishlov
On Jul 26, 3:00 pm, François Schiettecatte <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> http://fschiettecatte.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/migrating-from-ibatis-2-x-to-3-0/
> Note that the note about setting the jdbcType is not longer applicable.

Hmm... Which part of it is not applicable
- need to set the jdbcType of columns which allow NULL values
- or, this was not the case before?

The manual is vague on this, page 27:
1.
Like the rest of MyBatis, the javaType can almost always be determined
from the parameter object, unless that object is a HashMap. Then the
javaType should be specified to ensure the correct TypeHandler is
used.

Then 2.
Note: The JDBC Type is required by JDBC for all nullable columns, if
null is passed as a value. You can investigate this yourself by
reading the JavaDocs for the reparedStatement.setNull() method. To
further customize type handling, you can also specify a specific
TypeHandler class (or alias), for example:

Then 3.
So already it seems to be getting verbose, but the truth is that
you’ll rarely set _any_ of these.

From my experience, NULL values in BO consisting of plain Long-s, Date-
s, and String-s with Oracle and MyBatis 3.0.2 without specifying
jdbcType leads to errors.
So, it looks like in (1) there is a typo: its not javaType by
jdbcType. Also, putting values in HashMap would not prevent MyBatis to
determine _Java_ type, so I see no reason how HashMap vs POJO is
different (except, maybe, performance).
(2) is correct.
(3) "rarely set any" contradicts with real life and doesn't go further
to describe in which cases jdbcType must be set.

On Sep 17, 9:33 pm, Arkadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (3) "rarely set any" contradicts with real life and doesn't go further
> to describe in which cases jdbcType must be set.

.. the manual only documents jdbcType must be set on NULL-able columns.

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

yaog
Thanks for your reply. I am interested. Do you think the feature set is worth the trouble?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I started to write a migration tool myself consisting of an ant task
with regexp replacements and a xslt transformation and uploaded it
to :
http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/issues/detail?id=72

If You are still interested i can upload a much more elaborated
version which transforms more ibatis2 features to mybatis and includes
many bugfixes.

Greetings from Frankfurt

Peter Köhler

On 26 Jul., 08:29, yaog <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been a user of version 2.x for a long time.
>
> a few months back I started looking at version 3 but I saw it is not
> backward compatible at all.
>
> Is this on purpose? any migration tool for migrating?
>
> any real benefits tomigratefrom version 2.3.2 to 3.x?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Peter Köhler
Hi Simo,

I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
bugfixes.
And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
quite nicely.
So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
other complex things to do.

Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany

Peter Köhler

On 17 Sep., 14:48, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool! I'll take a deep look during the weekend, thanks a lot! :)
> Have a nice day,
> Simo
>
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Simo,
>
> > uploaded new version fresh from our development atAWARO®.
> > Have fun and .... ciao :)
>
> > Peter
>
> > On 17 Sep., 11:20, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >> sorry for being late on processing your issue, but of course we're
> >> more than interested on a migration tool. I just need to terminate
> >> some activities on spring & giuce subprojects, then I'll be ready.
> >> So yes please, update the jira issue and I'll help you growing and
> >> packaging the stuff. Well done.
> >> Thanks in advance and... alles gute!!! ;)
> >> Simo
>
> >>http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Awesome!

What did you do for java code?  Did you write some adapter classes to
proxy ibatis 2 code through to ibatis 3?

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Simone Tripodi
Hi Peter,
thanks a lot for your effort, just the time to review it and I'll let
you know ASAP!
Alles gute!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simo,
>
> I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
> bugfixes.
> And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
> click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
> quite nicely.
> So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
> wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
> button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
> So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
> should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
> other complex things to do.
>
> Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>
> Peter Köhler
>

> On 17 Sep., 14:48, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Cool! I'll take a deep look during the weekend, thanks a lot! :)
>> Have a nice day,
>> Simo
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Simo,
>>
>> > uploaded new version fresh from our development atAWARO®.
>> > Have fun and .... ciao :)
>>
>> > Peter

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Simone Tripodi
Hi again Peter,
I'm trying to understand why don't you support the main
ibatis->mybatis configuration, it would be great if the xslt could
support it as well.
I planned to include your stuff in a proper command line tool that
uses the compiled the xsl (using XSLTC) and supports multi-threading
conversion, having the feature I just exposed would be great to ha a
complete conversion tool.
WDYT? Of course, just if you have spare time... opensource is volunteering :)
Alles gute,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Simone Tripodi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> thanks a lot for your effort, just the time to review it and I'll let
> you know ASAP!
> Alles gute!!!
> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Simo,
>>
>> I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
>> bugfixes.
>> And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
>> click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
>> quite nicely.
>> So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
>> wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
>> button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
>> So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
>> should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
>> other complex things to do.
>>
>> Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>>
>> Peter Köhler
>>

>> On 17 Sep., 14:48, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Cool! I'll take a deep look during the weekend, thanks a lot! :)
>>> Have a nice day,
>>> Simo
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

I wonder if it would just be easier to make a 2.x builder.  There are
classes in the unit test package that might be a good starting point
-- I wrote them to allow the 2.x unit test suite to run on 3.0.

Xslt is kind of brutal and my not do the best job.  Plus we need the
2.x class adapters anyway.

Thoughts?

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Peter Köhler
Hi Simo,

You mean conversion of the SqlMapConfig.xml?

Well the reason is lazyness ;)

If You need a xslt for complete conversion, i can produce a special
one which should do the job.
Should not be too hard ...

Greetings from Frankfurt

Peter Köhler

On 22 Okt., 15:12, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again Peter,
> I'm trying to understand why don't you support the main
> ibatis->mybatis configuration, it would be great if the xslt could
> support it as well.
> I planned to include your stuff in a proper command line tool that
> uses the compiled the xsl (using XSLTC) and supports multi-threading
> conversion, having the feature I just exposed would be great to ha a
> complete conversion tool.
> WDYT? Of course, just if you have spare time... opensource is volunteering :)
> Alles gute,
> Simo
>
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Simone Tripodi
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> > thanks a lot for your effort, just the time to review it and I'll let
> > you know ASAP!
> > Alles gute!!!
> > Simo
>
> >http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/
> >http://www.99soft.org/
>
> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Simo,
>
> >> I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
> >> bugfixes.
> >> And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
> >> click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
> >> quite nicely.
> >> So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
> >> wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
> >> button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
> >> So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
> >> should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
> >> other complex things to do.
>
> >> Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>
> >> Peter Köhler

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Peter Köhler
Hi Clinton,

we never used the SqlMapClient directly but through a self written
class in our dao´s (is it an adapter? Hmm... I should read the GOF
book!).
So rewriting this class + changing the constructor of our dao´s did
95% of the job.

Of course rowhandlers, typehandlers and batching ... had to be
converted manually.

On 22 Okt., 13:51, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome!
>
> What did you do for java code?  Did you write some adapter classes to
> proxy ibatis 2 code through to ibatis 3?
>
> Cheers,
> Clinton
>
> On 2010-10-22, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hi Simo,
>
> > I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
> > bugfixes.
> > And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
> > click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
> > quite nicely.
> > So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
> > wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
> > button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
> > So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
> > should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
> > other complex things to do.
>
> > Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>
> > Peter Köhler
>
> > On 17 Sep., 14:48, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Cool! I'll take a deep look during the weekend, thanks a lot! :)
> >> Have a nice day,
> >> Simo
>
> >>http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/

> Sent from my mobile device

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Simone Tripodi
Hi guys! :)

@Peter: yes, if the xslt could produce output for both config and
sqlmap it would be much much better :P

@Clinton: I *really* like your idea, nothing forbids both projects
could coexist, I already started working on Peter's idea time ago,
let's terminate it... or not? :P

Have a nice weekend!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Clinton,
>
> we never used the SqlMapClient directly but through a self written
> class in our dao´s (is it an adapter? Hmm... I should read the GOF
> book!).
> So rewriting this class + changing the constructor of our dao´s did
> 95% of the job.
>
> Of course rowhandlers, typehandlers and batching ... had to be
> converted manually.
>
> Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>
> Peter Köhler
>
> On 22 Okt., 13:51, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Awesome!
>>
>> What did you do for java code?  Did you write some adapter classes to
>> proxy ibatis 2 code through to ibatis 3?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Clinton
>>
>> On 2010-10-22, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi Simo,
>>
>> > I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
>> > bugfixes.
>> > And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
>> > click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
>> > quite nicely.
>> > So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
>> > wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
>> > button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
>> > So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
>> > should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
>> > other complex things to do.
>>
>> > Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>>
>> > Peter Köhler

>> Sent from my mobile device

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

No need to terminate it.  Many people will still want to convert the XML and move forward with 3.x.

My solution would leave half of their code in the "old way", which gets them running, but isn't a long-term solution.

So both is not bad.

Clinton

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys! :)

@Peter: yes, if the xslt could produce output for both config and
sqlmap it would be much much better :P

@Clinton: I *really* like your idea, nothing forbids both projects
could coexist, I already started working on Peter's idea time ago,
let's terminate it... or not? :P

Have a nice weekend!!!
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Clinton,
>
> we never used the SqlMapClient directly but through a self written
> class in our dao´s (is it an adapter? Hmm... I should read the GOF
> book!).
> So rewriting this class + changing the constructor of our dao´s did
> 95% of the job.
>
> Of course rowhandlers, typehandlers and batching ... had to be
> converted manually.
>
> Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>
> Peter Köhler
>
> On 22 Okt., 13:51, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Awesome!
>>
>> What did you do for java code?  Did you write some adapter classes to
>> proxy ibatis 2 code through to ibatis 3?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Clinton
>>
>> On 2010-10-22, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi Simo,
>>
>> > I have uploaded another version which includes more features and
>> > bugfixes.
>> > And as far as i see i am done with it, my old statements update at the
>> > click of a button, my DAO´s are converted, junit tests are running
>> > quite nicely.
>> > So if we release our new version of AWARO® (probably in December) i´ll
>> > wait a few weeks for bugfixing our old ibatis2 statements, press the
>> > button to convert to mybatis and then we are done completely.
>> > So folks, if anyone has some bugfix, suggestion, comment ... You
>> > should do it now (!) and not later next year as i surely will have
>> > other complex things to do.
>>
>> > Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>>
>> > Peter Köhler

>> Sent from my mobile device

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Peter Köhler
Hi Simo,

I have uploaded another version which includes migration of
SqlMapConfig.xml + validation.

ciao

On 23 Okt., 13:38, Simone Tripodi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys! :)
>
> @Peter: yes, if the xslt could produce output for both config and
> sqlmap it would be much much better :P
>
> @Clinton: I *really* like your idea, nothing forbids both projects
> could coexist, I already started working on Peter's idea time ago,
> let's terminate it... or not? :P
>
> Have a nice weekend!!!
> Simo
>
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/http://www.99soft.org/
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Peter Köhler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Clinton,
>
> > we never used the SqlMapClient directly but through a self written
> > class in our dao´s (is it an adapter? Hmm... I should read the GOF
> > book!).
> > So rewriting this class + changing the constructor of our dao´s did
> > 95% of the job.
>
> > Of course rowhandlers, typehandlers and batching ... had to be
> > converted manually.
>
> > Greetings from Frankfurt / Germany
>
> > Peter Köhler
>
> > On 22 Okt., 13:51, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Awesome!
>
> >> What did you do for java code?  Did you write some adapter classes to
> >> proxy ibatis 2 code through to ibatis 3?
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Clinton

> >> Sent from my mobile device

Re: Is version 3 really backward compatible?

Simone Tripodi
Hi Peter,
you rock, I'll take a look at it this evening after work :)
Thanks for your efforts!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/