MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Ilya Kazakevich
Hello,

What are the killing features to upgrade from iBatis 2 to MyBatis 3?
The only one I found is Generics support. Good. But what about enums
for example? Why did you move to MyBatis 3?

Thanks.

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Larry Meadors
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Ilya Kazakevich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why did you move to MyBatis 3?

Convention over configuration (especially with spring and guice), and
less stupid code (no dao impls).

Enum support is good (automatically maps to varchar fields using name).

Larry

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Nathan Maves
Don't forget a much better dynamic sql with OGNL and type safe Mappers

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Nathan Maves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't forget a much better dynamic sql with OGNL and type safe Mappers

Oh yeah - the type safety is ~meh~, but it's better - probably as good
as it can be in Java.

Larry
Tim

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Tim
I'm going to give you the non BS answer from a user not a dev.
I can give you more detailed info if necessary but if you don't understand some of these terms then I suggest you look them up by reading the docs before asking.

MyBatis pros:
1. Setting up MyBatis is so clean and easy compared to iBatis. Less configurations. More configurations that you can control programmatically etc.
2. The interface proxying approach (which allows you define mappers as simple interfaces) is awesome!
3. Proxying is also used by SqlSessionManager to do some magic that is amazing.
4. Support (sort of) for immutable datamodels! This isn't easy and isn't handled very well in ORMs like hibernate and even iBatis. But is a feature that will be released with 3.0.6 (at least partially more on that in the cons).

MyBatis cons:
1. There are several changes (handling of maps as a return type, also http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/issues/detail?id=379) that change basic functionality between ibatis to mybatis. This pretty big as it makes some things that you may have relied on in ibatis usable if you port to mybatis.
2. The lack of return ids makes it harder to support immutable models that can't be modified by selectKeys.

Other notes.
1. I feel like the community of myBatis is pretty quiet. You don't typically get the support for issues as you would see in projects like Camel and makes it feel more like apache commons. Camel (and other projects like it) have the advantage that its backed by commercial companies that staff the open source development. I feel that if MyBatis had a commercial support side, it would evolve much better than it does now.
2. The main developer for MyBatis has pretty much left the project. This leaves a lot of cruft in the code that he understood best (again.. I'm an outside opinion so this might not be true). In addition to that, some of the other iBatis contributors have also seem to have turned their attention to other things. This also leaves a hole in the development of it as I feel SOMEONE needs to pick up the passion of mybatis again. Why is this under a discussion of MyBatis over iBatis? iBatis is dead. I don't expect it to evolve anymore. So you basically pick it knowing that it is what it is. Whereas MyBatis I'm hoping to see more improvements in features and innovations like that I saw when MyBatis first came out.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Ilya Kazakevich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

What are the killing features to upgrade from iBatis 2 to MyBatis 3?
The only one I found is Generics support. Good. But what about enums
for example? Why did you move to MyBatis 3?

Thanks.

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Josh Kamau
Tim,

I feel this statement is not correct ;

Other notes.
1. I feel like the community of myBatis is pretty quiet. You don't typically get the support for issues as you would see in projects like Camel and makes it feel more like apache commons.

This mailing list is very active and all my questions have always been answered. What kind of support were you refering to?  Event the main guys (Bradon, Larry, Jeff, Clinton et al ) are very active here .

I dont think this is true either .

2. The main developer for MyBatis has pretty much left the project. This leaves a lot of cruft in the code that he understood best (again.. I'm an outside opinion so this

Such comments may send the wrong signals to potential users.

Josh.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Tim <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

zachv
Generated keys support...

Killing feature? Depends. For me it means I no longer have to use my
dirty hack to get generated keys in Ibatis.

On Aug 25, 7:47 pm, Ilya Kazakevich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What are the killing features to upgrade from iBatis 2 to MyBatis 3?
> The only one I found is Generics support. Good. But what about enums
> for example? Why did you move to MyBatis 3?
>
> Thanks.

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Agreed.  Tim's statements are inaccurate.  I think my last commit was
just a month ago, and it was for an issue I believe tim voted for.
The reason for low activity is that it's a stable and mature project.
Issues or feature requests in the list are often  edge cases.  And
indeed, being a volunteer effort means things get done as the
opportunity presents itself.

MyBatis has been around for 9 years, is the second or third  most
popular persistence framework, and the only one of its kind.  In
addition, it has never been more active -- especially with the help of
Jeff and Simone.

Sorry Tim, while you might think your post is free of BS, it's still
just your single opinion -- and I think it's mostly off base.

Clinton

Sent from my mobile device

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

And eduardo.

Sent from my mobile device
Tim

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Tim
I agree with your comments regarding number 2.
It can send the wrong signals but it can also be sending the right ones.
There are plenty of projects that have live and prospered long after the original creator left.
Just look at how much groovy has grown for evidence. All that's needed is some support from the community.

Tim

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Tim
A few releases ago even you sent out an email that one of the releases was done entirely without any action on your part.
I don't really mind that. I think that is a sign of a good project but I still stand by the fact that it takes a while before an issue is addressed.
Let's do this.

Order the list of issues by stars.
Now check the dates.
How many of the most desired features are actively being worked on to find a solution?
Speaking of Eduardo he attached a pretty good solution patch on the first issue already but made no comment or update on it since?
We all have full time jobs (or we hope) so I am not 'blaming' anyone.

I disagree that its a stable and mature project. I think iBatis was. MyBatis is the cool new iBatis.
MyBatis is the major release that helps us rethink the future of what the framework can be and do.
And I think it's quite a HUGE improvement in MOST parts. In a few parts I feel like it moved backwards but those I can deal with as long as they are active for discussion.

Sent from my mobile device

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

You're welcome to committer status any time.  Let me or one of the others know.

Clinton

Sent from my mobile device

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're welcome to committer status any time.  Let me or one of the others know.

Funny, that's what I told him, too. :)

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Yeah, and Nathan's been regularly working on features here and there too... you know, having Tim ask the question (or perhaps make the assertion), has only made me realize how active this project really is.  Sure if you compare it to Hibernate or Spring, it's not that.  But it also doesn't have HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars in funding behind it.

In fact it has about -$6500 behind it, because that's what I personally spend per year in hosting infrastructure, domains etc. over the past 10 years or so.

Clinton

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Larry Meadors <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're welcome to committer status any time.  Let me or one of the others know.

Funny, that's what I told him, too. :)

Re: MyBatis 3.0 benefits over iBatis 2.3.3

Brandon Goodin
You need a donation button :p

Brandon